In the mid 1930s, Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus Company Limited (BMMO—Midland “Red” Motor Services) operated Service 424 between Hereford, Bishops Frome, Bromyard, and Leominster. One return journey was operated on Fridays only, for Leominster Market Day, with an additional short-working journey between Docklow and Leominster.
Service 424 was suspended shortly after the outbreak for the Second World War, probably in late September 1939, and the route number was reused for a new Sunday-only service between Birmingham, Worcester, and Hereford.
|April||1933||Hereford ↔ Bishops Frome ↔ Bromyard ↔ Leominster|
|January||1935||Hereford ↔ Bishops Frome ↔ Bromyard ↔ Leominster|
|May||1938||Hereford ↔ Bishops Frome ↔ Bromyard ↔ Leominster|
From c. late 1939 or early 1940, Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus Company Limited (BMMO—Midland “Red” Motor Services) operated new Service 424 between Birmingham, Worcester, Bromyard, and Hereford. One return journey was operated on Sundays only, departing Birmingham Station Street in the morning and running over the same route as Service 144 to Worcester, then the same route as Service 420 to Hereford. The return journey to Birmingham departed in the late afternoon.
By May 1943, this version of Service 424 had also been â€œTemporarilyâ€ suspended, but it was never to be reinstated after the War.
|June||1940||Birmingham ↔ Bromsgrove ↔ Worcester ↔ Hereford|
After the end of the Second World War, Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus Company Limited (BMMO—Midland “Red” Motor Services) reinstated Service 424. However, this was not the Sunday-only Birmingham to Hereford route that had operated in 1940, but the pre-war route that ran between Hereford, Bishops Frome, Bromyard, and Leominster, on Fridays only for Leominster Market Day.
The timetable was similar to the one operated in 1939, with one return journey running over the whole route, plus one short-working return journey. Times were adjusted slightly, and the short-working journey now operated between Leominster and Bromyard, with connections to Worcester or Hereford on Service 420.
This service was withdrawn by mid-1948.
|March||1947||Hereford ↔ Bishops Frome ↔ Bromyard ↔ Leominster|
From Saturday 2nd October 1948, Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus Company Limited (BMMO—Midland “Red” Motor Services) reused the route number 424 for a new Market Day service between Hereford and Hatfield.
This new Service 424 operated on Wednesdays and Saturdays only, for Hereford Market Days. Two return journeys ran on Wednesday, with an additional evening journey on Saturdays.
By 1957, all of the Saturday journeys had been withdrawn, and the Wednesday service had been extended to Leominster, with through journeys on Service 432 to Hereford, to give a large circular route. The morning journey ran from Hereford to Leominster (as Service 432), then direct to Hatfield, then back to Hereford via the original lengthy rural route. The afternoon journey operated in the reverse direction.
On Fridays only, for Leominster Market Day, BMMO introduced Service 431 as a short-working variation to Service 424. This ran over the same route, but only between Leominster and Hatfield, with no through service to Hereford.
Service 424 continued to operate this circular route until the mid-1970s, although the afternoon journey would eventually change to return to Hereford as Service 434, and a through service was no longer provided at Leominster with a wait of up to an hour for the connecting bus.
This service was withdrawn in the mid-1970s.
Service 432 was a short-working variation to Service X34 (Hereford, Leominster, Ludlow, and Shrewsbury), running over the same route but only between Hereford and Leominster.
|New October||1948||Hereford ↔ Hatfield|
|October||1949||Hereford ↔ Hatfield|
|May||1960||Hereford ↔ Hatfield ↔ Leominster|
|March||1972||Hereford ↔ Hatfield ↔ Leominster|