Canal Street, Banbury (depot code: BY)
- Garage leased by the Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus
Company Limited (BMMO—Midland “Red” Motor Services).
- Garage opened on 13th October 1919, with an initial allocation
of three single-deck buses, increased to five vehicles by 1922.
- Site purchased by the Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus Company
Limited (BMMO—Midland “Red” Motor Services) in May 1924, along
with additional land adjoining the garage which was later used
to build a new garage.
- Garage closed on 25th September 1931, and replaced
by the new depot built on adjacent land, with the first building
being sold back to the original owner. The new garage was
a steel-framed, brick built building with brick offices and workshop,
and accommodation for 18 vehicles.
- Garage extended in 1952 on unused land to the rear, increasing
capacity to 50 vehicles.
- Depot allocation of 34 vehicles in February 1967, made up of
12 double-deck and 22 single-deck buses.
- Company renamed to Midland Red Omnibus Company Limited
(MROC) on 29th March 1974, with a depot allocation
of 32 vehicles and approximately 79 staff at this time.
- Depot control passed to Midland Red (South) Limited when the Midland Red Omnibus Company Limited split up on 6th September 1981.
- Midland Red (South) Limited acquired by Stagecoach Group in late 1993, and soon after starts trading as “Stagecoach Midland Red”, although the legal name of Midland Red (South) Limited is unchanged.
- Under reorganisation by Stagecoach Group, from 2001 Midland Red (South) Limited is rebranded as “Stagecoach in Warwickshire” for the majority of their operations, but as Banbury depot is in Oxfordshire vehicles and services at that depot are branded as ”Stagecoach in Oxfordshire”. Thames Transit Limited, Oxford, which is also owned by Stagecoach Group, is also rebranded as “Stagecoach in Oxfordshire” and the two companies are regarded collectively as “Stagecoach South Midlands”.
- From 1st July 2002, certain management duties at Banbury depot come under the control of Thames Transit Limited, Oxford. Midland Red (South) Limited and Thames Transit Limited are partly merged, sharing the same senior management team and many resources, but keep their original legal names.
- On 1st March 2004, Midland Red (South) Limited and Thames Transit Limited are separated and each has their own separate management teams again. The brand name “Stagecoach South Midlands” is dropped, and from this time only “Stagecoach in Warwickshire” and “Stagecoach in Oxfordshire” are used. Banbury depot continues using the “Stagecoach in Oxfordshire” brand and certain management tasks are performed by Thames Transit, but vehicles and licences etc are still held by Midland Red (South) Limited.
- On Sunday 28th February 2021, Midland Red (South) Limited (“Stagecoach Midlands”) surrendered all their licences for services operated from Banbury depot. From the next day, the depot, staff and services came under the full control and licence of Thames Transit Limited (“Stagecoach Oxfordshire”).
- All operations of Stagecoach Oxfordshire are absorbed by Stagecoach West. Although services are still operated with the Thames Transit Limited licence, the company is now managed from the Stagecoach West headquarters in Gloucester.